Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
~ Charles Wesley, 1738

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Review of Hints for Parents by Gardiner Spring and Tedd Tripp

Hints for Parents: With Gospel Encouragements by Tedd TrippHints for Parents: With Gospel Encouragements by Tedd Tripp by Gardiner Spring

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I wish I had read this short book earlier in my parenting career. Indeed, having read "Shepherding a Child's Heart," I found this short book much more valuable. Gardiner Spring's early 19th Century text with Tedd Tripp's notes along the way was very insightful and encouraging. One such encouragement came on page 26 from Tedd in which he says, "God will take your patient teaching of your children and authenticate its truthfulness to their hearts. Your hope as you teach them to have magnnaminity of heart ... is that God will use His Word to persuade your child of its truth. Your job is to set forth truth plainly; God's job is to shine the light into their hearts." There is courage and hope offered throughout as the goals and objectives of are clearly laid out. Gardiner writes, "God's time for the conversion of your children may not be your time. Your efforts may seem in vain--for years--but you will likely at last see your children rejoicing in the graces and comforts of holiness. He who goes forth and weeps, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him" (p. 67). A short but very helpful little book--would make a great new parent gift from your church. I only hope I can integrate the biblical wisdom found in this gem of a book into my own parenting.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Happily married and the father of 4 wonderful boys.

Search This Blog